GIMS/CS3 Combined Survey System
The GIMS/CS3 Aquatic Survey System combines the Gamma Isotope
Mapping System (GIMS) with the Continuous Sediment Sampling System
(CS3) to enable rapid collection of sediment parameter data and
sediment samples in all types of aquatic environments. The separate
component systems are operated simultaneously using a common
sensor platform and shipboard instrumentation, and offer the
- Rapid radionuclide, geochemical, and bathymetric survey over a broad geographic area;
- Real time monitoring of natural or anthropogenic gamma activity in surficial sediments;
- Near real time mapping of gamma activity in surficial sediments.
- Continuous collection of closely-spaced surficial sediment samples;
- Analysis for elemental and organic components of sediment samples;
- Mapping of gamma activities and elemental and organic concentrations in surficial sediments.
Like its separate component systems, the GIMS/CS3 can be deployed in water depths of up to 100 meters and towed at speeds of 2 to 3 knots along survey transects.
Two- and three-dimensional
maps of gamma activity in surficial sediments can be generated
in near real time during the survey process. Maps of elemental
and organic analyte concentrations are generated following laboratory
analysis of collected samples.
Selected Images: GIMS / CS3
Publications Information: GIMS / CS3
The GIMS/CS3 is available on a contract basis.
For further information contact Dr. Scott E. Noakes (706) 542-6134